2013 THE COLUMBUS DAY COMMITTEE
THE TOWN OF BRANFORD
THANK OUR CORPORATE SPONSORS
Anthem BlueCross BlueShield
Ed-Mor Electric Company, Inc.
Blakeslee Prestress, Inc.
Branford Economic Development Commission
Camputaro & Son Excavating
Giordano Construction Company
Knights of Columbus
Mosaic Printing, Signage & Marketing Service
Advanced Office Systems
Berchem, Moses & Devlin, P.C.
Ciulla & Donofrio, CCP
C. J. Fucci Construction Company
Enterprise Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
Gesmonde, Pietrosimone & Sgrignari, LLC
Joseph Cohn & Son Tile & Terrazzi, LLC
North Haven Funeral Home, Inc.
Town Fair Tire
Saint Andrews Men’s & Ladies Societies
W. F. Dornfeld Co., Inc.
W.S. Clancy Memorial Funeral Home
COLUMBUS DAY PARADE AWARDS 2013
TOWN OF BRANFORD, CT
BEST OVERAL UNIT
1. Branford Italian American Club – (Float)
BEST VETERANS GROUP COLOR GUARD
1. Nathan Hale Chapter 103 Military Order of the Purple Heart
2. Hispanic American Veterans of CT
BEST POLICE DEPARTMENT/COLOR GUARD
1. Judicial Marshall Color Guard
2. Branford Police Department Color Guard
BEST FIRE DEPARTMENT/COLOR GUARD
1. Webster Hose Co., Ansonia Fire Department
2. Branford Fire Department
3. East Haven Fire Department
BEST SENIOR FIFE AND DRUM CORPS
1. Stony Creek Fife & Drum Corps
2. Connecticut Blues Fife & Drum Corps
3. Mattatuck Drum Band
BEST JUNIOR FIFE AND DRUM CORPS
1. Marques of Granby Jr. Fife & Drum Corps
2. Nutmeg Volunteer Junior Ancient Fife & Drum Corps
BEST ITALIAN AMERICAN UNIT
1. Amity Club
2. Marchegiana Society – Float
3. Santa Maria Maddalena Society
BEST DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS
1. CT Alumni Sr. Drum & Bugle Corps
2. Deep River Drum Corps
BEST SCHOOL MUSICAL UNIT
1. Betsey Ross Arts Magnet School Marching Band
2. Celentano Museum Academy Band
BEST SCHOOL MARCHING UNIT
1. St. Mary School of Branford
2. St. Aedan-St. Brendan School
BEST YOUTH MARCHING UNIT
1. James Hillhouse ROTC
2. U.S. Naval Sea Cadets, Edison Division
BEST ADULT MARCHING UNIT
1. Southern Italy Religious Societies:
Santa Maria Maddalena Society
St. Andrew Apostle Society
Saint Catello Society
Santa Maria Delle Virgine
Saint Trofimena Society
Saint Andrew Ladies Society
Santa Maria Maddalena Ladies Guild
BEST KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS UNIT AND/OR COLOR GUARD
1. Hon. W. Patrick Donolon Assembly #2459
2. Knights of Columbus El Dorado Council #10
3. Our Lady of Pompeii Knights of Columbus Council #11245
BEST PIPE BAND
1. Gaelic Highland Pipe Band
BEST HIGH SCHOOL BAND
1. Hillhouse High School Band
2. Branford High School Band
Our Grand Marshalls, Edward Mauro and Jeffrey Vailette, of the 2013 Columbus Day Parade in the Town of Branford on Sunday, October 13, 2013 to step off at 1:30 PM.
Edward Mauro, founder and CEO of Ed-Mor Electric Co., Inc, in business for more than fifty years. He is still very active in the business. A New Haven native, Ed and his late wife moved to the Hotchkiss Grove area of Branford more than 30 years ago. Branford has become his adopted home town. He has been involved in many charitable and fund raising efforts throughout Greater New Haven, including Sacred Heart Academy, Yale-New Haven Hospital and St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. Ed is always available to help those less fortunate than he.
A Branford native, Jeffrey Vailette is a very active and dedicated member of the Branford community. He is a member of the Branford Board of Finance, Chairman and fund raiser for the Branford Fireworks Committee and an officer and organizer of the Branford Festival. Jeff has been President of the Branford Italian-American Club for more than 25 years. The Club is celebrating its 75TH Anniversary in 2013. Jeffrey is the Sales Manager at Grossman Chevrolet. He and his wife Terri are the proud parents of three children.
COLUMBUS SCHOLAR AWARDS YEAR 2013
Scholarships are awarded Annually by the Columbus Day Committee to those students that achieve Excellence in Italian in various High Schools located in the Host Community of the Columbus Day Parade. These awards are given to the highest student in the third or fourth year of Italian Study. Recipients of the scholarship awards given by the Columbus Day Committee are: Ms. Stacie Hurley, West Haven High School, Mr. Alessandro Cavaliere, North Haven High School, Mr. Drew Arciuolo, Notre Dame High School, West Haven, and Mr. Anthony Mills, Hamden High School.
From left to right, Mr. Peter Gambardella, Assistant Treasurer, Ms. Terri Vailette, Vice President of the Corporation, Ms. Laura Luzzi, Chairman of the 2013 Board of Directors, Mr. Paul Criscuolo, President of the Corporation, Mr. Louis Criscuolo, Assistant Secretary. Missing from the photo is Ms. Charlotte Gambardella, Treasurer and Ms. Magdalen Sparaco, Secretary.